Social Icons

facebook twitter linkedin Instagram rss feed

Friday, June 20, 2014

Samsung Opt’s Out

samsung-gear-2So it has been a few weeks since my last post.  It appears as if my blog post have been filled with nothing but post about home automation and technology the past few months.  According to my blog, it was no secret at the end of 2013 early 2014 I was determined to automate my home.  However in six short months, things have changed dramatically.  In recent months, there has been an enormous spike in popularity when it comes to home automation.  So much in fact that it seemed my efforts to control my home with automation seemed less impressive than if I were to achieve success a mere year earlier.  I saw this spike in home automation coming however I felt that having my artificial intelligent program control my home was unique, therefore separating itself among the other home automation systems.  In a measly six months, having Denise control my home is no where near as special than it would have been if I succeeded in early 2013.

Now, there are such systems like Lowe’s Iris (a proprietary pay-per-month home automation service), Castle O/S, plus others with more on the way.  The competition is getting so vast that having Denise control my home seems to get lost in an ocean of competing H.A. competitors.

So what now?

I had already succeeded getting the majority of my hardware and software setup to where I did have a decent home automation setup.  I only had to buy one or two more pieces of hardware to make it 100% complete.  I guess you can say I just didn’t have it in me to fully display my setup since it felt like the same exact thing that others were doing.  That is, until I thought up of an alternative home automation setup that was clearly better, and different from all the others.

Last year I had seen a YouTube video of a man controlling his home automation setup strictly from his phone using Google Now.  It was quite impressive at the time since no one was doing anything like it.

The man used Google Now and a program called Tasker to perform the automation in the video. 

I was on Facebook one evening taking a break from researching the Samsung’s Galaxy Gear watch when someone posted the video above on my newsfeed.  I had since forgotten about the video so seeing it again made me think.  What if I could do the same thing but from a Samsung Gear?  I quickly started to research the concept.  It appeared as if doing this was possible with a Gear 1 watch since it had an Android operating system.  I quickly began to search to acquire one on Craigslist. 

I found someone selling one that was apparently “new in box” so I contacted the seller and agreed to meet up with them.  The seller was a nice lady who said the watch was brand new and never used.  It even had the plastic still on it.  I purchased the watch and took it home eager to begin my new project.  When I arrived home I was greeted with a surprise.  It appears as if the woman did not sell me a Gear 1, it was a Samsung Gear 2!!!!  This was a cool find however it did not work in my favor since the Gear 2 did not come with an Android operating system, so rooting and hacking it posed a problem.

I did what seemed like a ton of research and finally, I was able to find a way to make the Gear 2 work on my rooted LG Optimus L70.  I won’t go into detail but basically getting the Gear 2 to work on a non-Galaxy phone tricks the Gear 2 into thinking my LG phone is a Galaxy phone, when it is clearly not.     

There was another issue.  The Gear 2 worked for the most part with the exception of one or two features that did not work at all.  Luckily, S-Voice on the Gear worked so I felt that there was hope in the project coming to life.  I wanted this project to be something different, so using Google Now like in the video was not something I wanted to do.  I wanted to use S-Voice.  However it appears as if I had hit another roadblock since the S-Voice on my LG crashed when I would try to launch the program.  There was no way to get around it, if I was going to try and make this work I needed a Galaxy phone to pair with the Gear 2.

I reached out to the PR firm that runs public relations for Samsung.  To make a long story short, I described what I wanted to do and explained that if I was successful, it would be great promotion for both the Galaxy and also the Gear 2,  In a nutshell, I had asked them to send me a Galaxy.  I felt if I was successful the project could possibly reach viral status since it was unique.  I had also informed them to keep that in mind if they needed the Galaxy to be returned, the Galaxy would have to be rooted since that was the only way it would work with my software.  Rooting voids the warranty so it wasn’t likely they would want it back.  I made sure I was upfront and clear about that.

After less than 24 hours later, I heard a response from the Samsung PR team and they unfortunately said that they were unable to fulfill my request for product.  It was extremely unfortunate since I thought that getting this to work would be a very cool project to show off to everyone.  I was even willing to write an article and make a video demo of it all working if I was successful.  Unfortunately, it does not appear that I will be moving forward with this project since I do not own a Galaxy phone.  I am not angry or upset with Samsung, after all I was asking them for a $500 device.  I just wish I had not gotten my hopes up that I was going to get my home automation setup to be controlled by a smart watch.  Now, it seems as if this project has reached its end before it had even begun. 

So, what am I going to do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

 

Donate

Followers